Housing Selection FAQ
Applying for Housing
- Log on to the MyHousing website using your Emory username (first initial of first name) and password.
- Complete the online housing application using the following steps:
- Select the application type 2018-19 Atlanta Campus Housing Application.
- Indicate a room type (double, single, etc.) and specific building preference.
- Select a meal plan.
- Once finished, click the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the screen.
- A confirmation page will display a summary of the information your provided. This confirms that you have completed your application; it does not confirm your room assignment or room type.
Housing Applications open on January 16, 2018 for current students and April 1st for first-year students.
If you know the student(s) with whom you would like to live...
- Ensure you have completed the housing application.
- Log on to your MyHousing page.
- Click on the navigation link Roommate Selection. Complete at least one field of the requested information (student ID, last name, first name, middle initial, or email address).
- When you see your requested roommate's name, click Request Student as Roommate. If there is more than one match to the information you enter, you will be provided with a list of names from which to make your selection. If your desired roommate has selected "privacy" regarding his/her information at the university, his/her name will not be available to select. In that instance, your desired roommate will need to select you first and then you must confirm the selection when you are notified via email of the selection.
- When it is your time to select a room, you will have the option to place your matched roommate request(s) into a bedspace in the room/apartment you select, or if your matched roommate has an earlier selection time, s/he will be able place you into a bedspace.
Roommate requests must be mutual. All roommates will need to go into their respective MyHousing pages and request each other. Do not allow "unmatched" roommate requests to stay on your account as that will hinder your ability to select a room.
You do not have to have a roommate request to receive housing, but be aware that if you are assigned to a double (or larger) space, you will have a roommate(s) assigned to you.
Random numbers are issued to each eligible student to determine the assignment of a selection date and time. The random numbers are generated by the Housing database and executed within the database of all eligible students with completed online applications for each process.
If your application is not complete by the deadline date, you may not be assigned a selection number and therefore a selection time. You must contact the office to be assigned a room at a later date.
Greek housing assignments are made separately from online housing selection, however you are still required to complete the Housing Application on MyHousing. Students who wish to live in Greek housing will not go through the Emory online room selection process. Fraternity and sorority members should discuss the requirements for living in fraternity houses/sorority lodges with their respective chapters. Please contact your Chapter president for more information on the Greek Housing Selection process.
Learn more about Greek Housing here.
In order to participate in theme housing, you must apply to one of the current themes that will be available next year. Theme housing is not available through the traditional online housing selection process but interested students are still required to complete the Housing Application on MyHousing.
For more information on Theme Housing click here.
Spring: If you are going on an Emory-approved study abroad program for the spring semester, you will participate in the full housing selection process. Your housing and meal plan will automatically terminate when you move out in December. Please note that your account will not be credited until you check out.
Fall: The applications for Spring Housing open in October. You will need to complete the online spring application before the deadline.
Emory University seeks to ensure students in all residential facilities a safe, comfortable and dignified living experience. Emory University is committed to making university housing accessible to all students. Students requesting specific housing accommodations for medical reasons must contact the Office of Accessibilty Services (OAS) and make a request for a housing accommodation prior to any application period. As spaces are limited, our office will work to make housing assignments based on the recommendations from OAS where space is available.
To find out more about accessible housing options please click here.
All first and second year students are required to live on campus. If you believe you are eligible to commute from your parent or guardians residence, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancelling your Housing Agreement is not a guaranteed process. Please make sure you are aware of the financial consequences before submitting a housing application as a cancellation fee may apply if you are granted release. Students who choose to cancel their housing agreement must submit a Housing Agreement Release Request Form via their MyHousing page. Requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis and you will receive an email reply regarding your housing agreement status. Do NOT make other housing plans until you have been notified of the outcome of your request for cancellation.Learn more about our cancellation policy here.
Occasionally, due to the number of people signing up for on-campus housing in a particular year, we find it necessary to use a waitlist when there are no rooms currently available. First and Second year students are guaranteed housing. If you are on the waitlist, please be patient, and we will continue to work on your assignment.
Please note the following:
- When you submit your housing application, you are commited to housing for the 2018-2019 year.
- If you do not receive a housing assignment as part of the room selection period, you are automatically placed on the waitlist.
- If you a rising upperclass student who is on the waitlist, you can cancel your housing application with no penalty at anytime before you receive a housing assignment. Once you have been assigned, you will be bound by the terms of the housing agreement.
Same Room Selection is only available to rising seniors on Clairmont Campus, who wish to remain in their SAME EXACT room as the current year. This process occurs before all other Housing Selection processes, and as a result, you will not receive an assigned time or lottery number.
Email us at email@example.com -- we promise to help you out!